Monday 22 August 2011

nihon go

I've been learning Japanese. Taking lessons from Emma, a fellow bicycle rider. Somehow we have now cooked up a crazy plan to ride to Japan and test out my new linguistic skills. We're at the VERY early planning stages at the moment. Still staring at the map and wondering if bandits or communists are easier to deal with. And we're certainly not going until I've learned to order more food than a plate of tuna sashimi with some sea urchin - I'll be hungrier than that when we get there.

But - all tips on super, long distance adventuring are welcome.

Vikki

2 comments:

nunuboogie said...

How exciting you will love Japan the people are so friendly and will help you out, but you have ask. We managed 2 weeks with very little Japanese, would love to return in the future.

roan said...

I don't know if you will 'see' this comment. Go cycle Japan. I was there for 2 1/2 months 1970, Iwakuni. Bought 3 speed bike, rode on Sundays, no idea where I was at times. I took a local map and even though I didn't speak the language could ask directions by pointing to where I wanted to go. Some very narrow dike roads along the coast, rice thatch roof houses, women in long black clothing gathering seafood from tidal pools. I just 'googled' the map, things have changed a lot since then. Good Luck, Great Memories